Research Methods in Social Science
Essay topic:Compare and contrast the purpose, mechanics, strengths, and weaknesses of field, experimental, and survey research.
Length:About 2500 words (8–10 pages)
Instructions:Write an essay about the topic specified above. Your essay must address the following questions:
· What are the main purposes of field, experimental, and survey research?
· What are the mechanics of each method? This should include a brief description of sampling techniques and the data collection process.
· What are the advantages and disadvantages of the three methods?
· When is it appropriate to use each method?
· What are the similarities and differences between the methods?
This assignment gives you the opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge of the similarities and differences between these methods. This task requires drawing on information from Units 6, 9, 10, 11, and 13. Make reference to readings from the units listed in the previous sentence. You may use additional references that are not part of the course readings, although this is not required.
· The essay must be double-spaced, in 12-point font, with standard 1.25-inch margins on the top, bottom, left and right.
· The essay must have a cover page with the title of the assignment, your name, and your student ID.
· Use APA style for all in-text citations and references. Visit theWrite Sitefor detailed information about APA style.
· Submit your work using the assignment link in Moodle.
· Students who do not follow these guidelines will be penalized.
Plagiarism:Plagiarism is a form of academic misconductprohibitedby Athabasca University’s regulations, and these regulations also set out sanctions against offenders. Plagiarism occurs when a student uses the words or ideas of another person without giving proper credit.
Evaluation Sheet for Essay Assignment
Students will be awarded full marks if they address all the requirements in each section of the essay.
I. Introduction (5 points)
Clear statement about the purpose of the essay.
Overview of the essay.
II. “Body” (75 points)
Address all of the following (not necessarily in the same order):
· Main purposes of the three methods (10 points)
· Appropriate use of the methods (10 points)
· Mechanics of the methods (30 points)
· Emphasis on similarities and differences between the methods (10 points)
III. Conclusion (5 points)
Clearly summarize what you have addressed in the essay.
IV. Format (10 points)
Structure and organization
V. Creativity and originality of essay (5 points)