Poetry research analysis
Poet Sylvia Plath
Poems Morning Song & Metaphors
-1200 words, Typed/double-spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font using MLA 8 formatting
– Quotations from 3+ secondary sources (criticism) and 2+ primary sources (poems) incorporated into your paper. NO HOMEWORK SITES!!! See Preliminary Handouts.
– Works Cited page that lists all sources used in your paper
– Parenthetical documentation of secondary source material (incorporating secondary sources).
– Quotes from poems that support your major points.
– Paper should be about the style of your poet. Combine your own thoughts about the selected poems with the ideas you found in the criticism you researched. Your thesis statement should define the style and make an assertion that you can defend using your critical analysis.
– Look for similarities in the poems you chose. Are there any prevalent themes? Figurative language? Symbolism? Sound devices? What do these devices or components help the poet achieve? Why are they important?
– You should use either directly quote, paraphrase, or summarize material from at least THREE pieces of criticism. Be sure to properly document your sources so that you are not plagiarizing. USE MORE OF YOUR OWN ANALYSIS THAN INFORMATION FROM THE CRITICISM. Do not just string together quotations.
– Remember that you must effectively integrate quotations into your paper instead of just dumping them into your work. Be sure to explain quotations and relate the information to your thesis.
– When you do quote, quote accurately. DO NOT BEGIN OR END A PARAGRAPH WITH A QUOTATION.