Essay 4 — Research Paper
Research Paper at a Glance
We are learning to better understand current issues by examining how authors contextualize them in large work of fiction or non-fiction. In order to develop this skill, we will be examining the implied and stated meanings of a primary source. We will further develop our understanding of the contemporary issues through the use of secondary sources. Using Orange is the New Black, develop a thesis statement based on an issue addressed in the book. This book is the PRIMARY RESOURCE.
Main Goals for Research Paper
• Practice close reading and analysis of the primary source to find meaning
• Identify literary elements and how they inform the meaning of the primary source
• Develop an awareness of information literacy practices needed for gathering of secondary sources
• Annotate, analyze, and evaluate reading selections through the metacognitive reading strategies
• Generate ideas about what to write through the process of freewriting, brainstorming, and outlining
• Develop an original argumentative thesis that requires integration of primary and secondary sources in the essay
• Use a systematic method for accurately recording research for primary sources, secondary sources, and student analysis
• Demonstrate an ability to paraphrase secondary sources
• Write an analytical essay of a minimum of 1800 words (not including the works cited page) with the integration of 5 to 8 secondary sources
• Create a works cited page and implement in-text citations using MLA 8 standards
Suggested Texts for Research Paper
Suggested Memoirs and Autobiographies:
Piper Kerman, Orange is the New Black
Suggested Research Paper Prompt—
The paper needs to reflect the thesis statement with the four points and its relationship to the primary source.
• How do the protagonist’s experiences as depicted connect to the audience’s real world of today?