Identify the independent and dependent variables in the study.
This week builds on that foundational awareness with a focus on the application of evidence-based practice models as a strategy to improve patient safety and other quality dimensions. In this Discussion, consider how these strategies can sustain practice changes.
Read: Newhouse, R.P. (2007) Diffusing confusion among evidence-based practice, quality improvement and research. JONA 37,432-535 (see attached pdf)
Read: Mazurek Melynk B., Gallagher-Ford, L., English Long, L., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2014) The establishment of Evidence-Based practice competencies for practicing registered nurses and advanced practice nurses in real world clinical settings: proficiencies to improve healthcare quality, reliability, patient outcomes, and costs. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing 11(1),5-15. (see attached pdf)
We all agree that research is the highest form of reliable evidence, when implemented in an organization that provides the basis for an evidence based practice. FIND a research study published in a peer reviewed journal related to a clinical practice problem that is of interest to you, and which would ultimately contribute to an evidence based practice.
The discussion assignment:
ANSWER the following discussion questions. Include the research study in your post (attach it to the post and post it in doc sharing). See page 11 #15 in Mazurek Melynk, Gallagher Ford, English Long and Fineout-Overholt. In this assignment, you are being asked to critically appraise a single research study for its relevance to a QI practice problem.
1) What was the purpose of the research?
2) Identify the independent and dependent variables in the study.
3) Briefly describe the research design, data collection method(s), and instruments used to measure the variables under study.
4) Briefly summarize study findings, conclusions and recommendations. Do you agree with these?
5) As a DNP prepared nurse, would you recommend a change in nursing practice based on the study? Defend and/or justify your decision based on research evaluation principles. In other words, does the evidence generated by this research article signify a need to change nursing practice? If not, why not; if so, why?
Post by tomorrow Wednesday January 31, 2018 by 10 pm America New/York time
Joshi, M.S., Ransom, E.R., Nash, D.B., & Ransom, S.B., (Eds.). (2014). The Healthcare Quality Book, 3rd ed. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.