Major Components of the Annotation
Each annotated bibliography typically includes the following three components:
• Critical Summary of Article
o Summarize the major themes of the journal article.
o Define the research problem being addressed by the author(s).
o Describe the relationships among the research problem, research questions, and hypotheses – as appropriate.
• Critical Analysis of Research Method
o Comment on whether the author(s) used appropriate research methods to complete the research – be specific.
o Describe the specific research methods used – go beyond just stating whether a qualitative or quantitative model was used.
o Describe whether the author(s) used a sample and how the sample was determined – as appropriate. State whether the sample design was appropriate for the study.
o Describe the variables or functions measured and whether these variables or functions were appropriate for the study.
o Discuss whether the data collection process and analyses were done properly. Reference related statistics, if used in the study.
o Summarize whether the research methods support the conclusions reached by the author(s).
• Critical Analysis of the Results and Conclusions
o Summarize the results and conclusions of the article.
o Discuss how these results either support or do not support your research.
Please follow these requirements:
• Use correct APA citation in referencing the journal article.
• Use APA formatting guidelines (e.g. headings, line spacing in the annotation).
• Use correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
The following tips are provided to help complete the annotation:
• Start each annotation at the top of a new page.
• Start with the correct APA citation for the article.
• Include all three headings: Critical Summary of Article, Critical Analysis of Research Method, Critical Analysis of the Results and Conclusions.
• Write clearly and focus on the critical parts of the research.
• Use these general guidelines on keeping the annotation to 500 words:
o Critical Summary: 100-150 words
o Critical Analysis of Research Methods: 150-200 words
o Critical Analysis of the Results and Conclusions: 150 words.