evaluate how environment management, unit based noise control, can promote quality in nursing care and improved patient experience in care delivery.
Iowa Model of Evidence-Based Practice to Promote Quality in Care
1. Problem-focused triggers-existing data that highlight an opportunity for improvement:
Example HCAHPS scores low- “How often do you experience quite around your room at night?”
2. Question- Is this a top priority for the organization?
3. Form a Team- includes relevant stakeholders to address/research the identified problem. Team should be interdisciplinary including nursing staff, nursing leadership, advanced practice nursing, non-nursing staff and system level leadership.
Once enough evidence based information is obtained and plan formulated:
4. Pilot the change in Practice
Implement noise reduction tactics on pilot unit
5. Assess and evaluate the change that was implemented. Are the new changes appropriate for widespread adoption for other units? If so provided this new practice change to the effective areas. Information to be presented in staff meetings and ongoing discussions and review of HCAHPS survey results to see if changes have impacted survey results.