I’m studying for my English class and need an explanation.
Based on key legislation pertaining to English language learners (ELLs) from your state and from your readings, create a brochure, newsletter, or Glogster to be used to inform parents in your community about English immersion policies and programs. Include the following:
- Historical developments that led to the policies regarding the role of English in their children’s classrooms.
- Pros for the English immersion program in the community or school you have chosen.
- At least two websites that enable parents to get additional information about the English immersion programs that parents would need to know about.
- A description of the characteristics of a relevant English immersion program in terms of instructional strategies, time spent in the classroom with other ELL students, and time spent in regular classrooms with native speakers. You can find this information on the Arizona Department of Education website or from the Department of Education website of your state.
- Definitions for any terms that parents would need to know.
GCU style is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
Familiarize yourself with the information found in “Historical Events” in the “ESL Database.”
Read “Two-Way Immersion Education: The Basics,” located on the Center for Applied Linguistics website.
Read “Bilingual education in the United States: An Historical Overview and Examination of Two-Way Immersion,” by Kim, Hutchison, and Winsler, from Educational Review (2015).
Read “Roots of Federal ELL Case Run Deep,” by Zehr, from Education Week (2009).
Watch the “Arizona’s Language Battle” video on YouTube.
Read “Bilingual Education vs. English immersion: Which is Better for English Language Learners?” located on the ERIC online database.
Watch the “Two-Way Bilingual Immersion (TWBI) Program” video on YouTube.
Watch “Should Spanish-Speaking Students be Taught in English Only?” located on YouTube.