Lynn, a 24 year-old G1P0, has presented to the physician’s office with complaints of severe nausea and vomiting for the past 5 days. She is 9 weeks gestation with twins.
The following assessment data is obtained:
Prepregnancy weight: 115 Current weight: 109
Vital Signs: BP- 110/60 P- 90 R-20
1. Discuss the defining characteristics of hyperemesis gravidarum, factors which place a patient at a greater risk for developing hyperemesis gravidarum and identify which of these factors are present for the patient.
2. Discuss theories related to the etiology of hyperemesis gravidarum.
3. Discuss assessment data that should be obtained from the patient and any diagnostic tests that would be ordered.
4. Identify two physiological nursing diagnoses, the expected outcomes and at least three interventions for each related to the care of a patient with hyperemesis gravidarum.
5. Discuss the role that psychologic and social factors play in the development of hyperemesis gravidarum.