Develop and justify various approaches to the stated problem, including nonpharmacological and pharmacological treatment.
Assignment 3: Evidence-Based Pharmacology Paper
The purpose of this assignment is to provide an opportunity for you to review an area of interest and apply the concepts you have learned in this course to a patient situation. In clinical decision making, you must combine knowledge and evidence to make a good decision. Using critical thinking and reading skills, you will meet multiple objectives for this assignment.
1. Synthesize relevant information, including research related to the diagnosis and treatment of the selected disorder.
2. Recognize the assumptions inherent in the current literature and identify any unstated or missing information.
3. Develop and justify various approaches to the stated problem, including nonpharmacological and pharmacological treatment.
4. Clearly articulate at least two approaches to the treatment of the condition.
5. Defend the choice of the treatment option. This must include a reflection on the availability of peer-reviewed information and your analysis of the credibility of that information.
6. Create a plan for follow-up and referral if needed.
The following are examples of disease states that you might want to study. These are just examples. You can select whatever area is of interest to you.
� Chronic Obstructive Pulmunory Disease (COPD)
� Diabetes Mellitus Type II
� Major Depression
� Migraine Headaches
� Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
Submit your answers in a Microsoft Word document of 10�15 pages. Include peer-reviewed references in APA format. Be sure to review the directions and grading criteria to assure that you will cover the content well.
Assignment 3 Grading Criteria Maximum Points
Described the pathophysiology of the disease process in depth. Included a discussion of the implications of the age continuum for this disease. 20
Discussed the genomic issues inherent in the disease process, including what is known and what is not known. 10
Provided a review of the literature on the basics of the disease and its treatment. 20
Described your approach to collecting this needed information. Included what keywords you used in a literature search, which databases were utilized, and any electronic clinical tools. 10
Identified and utilized at least one published clinical guideline related to the disease process. 10
Described the approach to the treatment of the specific disease, including the various possible approaches. 20
Defended the final selection of the approach for the disease process. 20
Discussed follow-up treatment, along with any referrals. 10
Utilized a minimum of five peer-reviewed articles published within the last seven years. 10
Provided references in APA style. 20