You are allocated to care for a group of 5 residents in an aged care facility. One of your clients, Mabel Hetherington (91 yrs), confides in you that she has been incontinent of faeces and has increasing abdominal discomfort. Reading her care plan you find that she is usually continent. When you speak to the Nurse in Charge of the aged care facility she says that another resident has just complained of stomach cramps and diarrhoea.
Essay task ? What you need to do
Discuss the nursing care required in the above scenario. Your discussion should be based on evidence and utilise a reflective decision making approach to nursing care.
Your essay discussion should include the following:
1) Evidence from research to support your clinical decisions and care implementation.
2) Describe how this type of infection can be spread within healthcare facilities and outline the possible risks to residents and / or nurses.
3) Identify best practice for preventing the spread of this infection.
4) Discuss hygiene maintenance and manual handling risks for both clients and staff.
5) Outline nutritional management including monitoring and maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance for Mrs Hetherington during your shift.
YOU MUST USE THE FOLLOWING REFERENCES:
Crisp, J., Taylor, C., Douglas, C. & Rebeiro, G. (2013) Potter and Perry’s Fundamentals of Nursing (4th Edition), Mosby Elsevier, Sydney
Tollefson, J. (2012) Clinical Psychomotor Skills, Assessment for Nurses (5th Edition) Centage Learning, Melbourne.
ALL REFERENCES MUST BE AUSTRALIAN AND NO OLDER THAN 5 YEARS. I.E. 2008-2013.