1. Watch 3 different cooking shows on TV (two can be ½ hour show and one must be
an one-hour show, make sure it is an actual cooking show with recipes, not a
competition, reality, or travel show); and write a paragraph for EACH show answering
the following questions (write each show separately with one reflective statement for the
whole assignment, i.e. you don’t have to do a reflective statement for each show):
1. What is the name of the show, channel, time, date, etc., and length of the show?
2. What is/are the name(s) of host(s)?
3. What is the theme of the show in general? The theme of this episode? What
dishes were prepared and give a general recipe for each of the recipe prepared?
4. Who is the intended targeted audience? Describe the audience targeted.
5. Briefly describe the show that you watched.
6. List 3 things that you learned by watching this show? What are the benefits?
7. Did you see any possible situations where food safety or safety issues were
observed? List up to three situations. Do you think that each of the food safety
issue that you observe could jeopardize someone’s health? If there are none,
8. What do you like about the show and what would you have done differently if it
were your show? Do you think you would watch the show in the future? Why or
2. What is your overall comment about this assignment? Was it an appropriate
assignment for the class? Why or why not?
3. Reflection: what did you learn by doing this
assignment? How does it affect you
personally and professionally?
TV shows can be from Food Network, cooking channel, PBS, etc. but NOT infomercials
to sell a product. You may google the cooking shows if you want to watch it on your