· Write an essay of 700-800 words on one (1) of the following three topics:
1. Choose a country that has had to implement structural adjustments due to debt and pressure from transnational institutions. What have been the consequences of this “solution” to this country’s people and sovereignty?
2. Why is too much lending a problem that can lead to global economic crises? How has technological innovation exacerbated the problem in recent years? Illustrate your answer with examples.
3. In what ways have transnational corporations and institutions (such as IMF, World Bank, or WTO) affected either poor people or the environment? Focus your answer on one of these two, refer to the specific policies and regulations that have had consequences on either of them, illustrate with examples, and explain why this has been the case.
· You should do extra research to support your thesis (overall answer to the question). I require at least 5 scholarly sources (books or journal articles).
· Your word-processed assignments should follow APA format for preparing your paper and citing sources (no need for an abstract).
· Be sure that you are presenting the concepts in your own words and that you include current information.
· Submit a single file containing all elements of the essay (cover page, essay, reference list) via Moodle no later than the deadline in the Moodle site for this course.
Criteria for Evaluating Essay
Here is the set of criteria that will form the basis for evaluating assignments: Substance (75 marks)
· The essay answers the question, provides evidence of critical thinking and analysis as well as synthesis of information throughout, and presents a logical and persuasive argument. (15 marks)
· Research sources are relevant, current, and credible. They are clearly documented in the paper. (15 marks)
· The introduction offers a sense of direction for the paper and presents a clear thesis statement to the reader and a brief outline of the points to be covered. (15 marks)
· The body develops the necessary aspects of the main idea and provides examples, support, or illustration for each aspect of the main idea. (15 marks)
· The conclusion summarizes the main points and ties them to the thesis; it also presents an impact statement and/or suggests direction for future research. (15 marks)
Writing Style and Format (25 marks)
· Paragraphs are unified, developed, and coherent, with transitions between ideas. Sentences are grammatically correct; words are chosen for accuracy and impact. The writing follows the conventions of spelling and mechanics (punctuation, etc.) (15 marks)
· The format follows the APA documentation style accurately and consistently. (10 marks)